Couples Therapy San Diego
Engaging in Couples Therapy is a proactive decision to get a healthy happy relationship. In our adult life, few relationships are as important as the one shared with an intimate partner. When things aren’t going the way you want with your significant other (feelings of disconnection, frequent fighting, building resentments, sexual intimacy issues) – it effects the ability to focus at work, have fun with friends and overall confidence. Couples Therapy San Diego can help. The goal of couples therapy is to help you better understand the dynamics of your relationship so that conflicts get resolved and the connection you once shared becomes reignited. As a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, I work with couples to help them begin resolving past issues and decrease resentments – allowing the couple to start anew with lessos-learned.
Couples Therapy Process
I use a process called Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT). EFT is considered one of only two “empirically supported” methods for working with couples, which means a lot of research has shown clearly that EFT works.* EFT Couples Therapy can change your relationship for the better. Fully 90% of distressed couples who complete EFT experience significant improvement in their relationship. Almost three-fourths can be classified as “recovered” by the end of treatment, having made gains so significant they no longer qualify as distressed.
* EFT works even where other treatments fail. EFT has been shown to work well with couples who have low incomes, couples with little formal education, and couples where the husband is rated by the wife as “inexpressive”–three groups that do not do well in other forms of couples therapy. If you think that your relationship (or your spouse) isn’t fit for traditional therapy, EFT may be just what you’re looking for.
* Perhaps most importantly, EFT Couples Therapy appears to create lasting change. Unlike in other forms of couples therapy, where the positive effects begin to drop off almost immediately at the end of treatment, couples who complete a course of EFT maintain their gains–and even continue to improve on them–over the next 24 months, without any additional treatment.
* Of course, EFT Couples Counseling isn’t for everyone. If there is ongoing violence in your relationship, or if one partner is absolutely unwilling to even attempt emotional reconnection, EFT cannot be effective.
With Couples Therapy San Diego, couples benefit from the following:
- Ability to negotiate differences
- Better manage conflicts
- Effective and concrete communication skills
- Increased intimacy
- Identify and avoid repeating patterns of distress
Some common issues addressed in Couples Therapy:
- Lack of trust
- Frequent fighting
- Financial management differences
- Poor Communication
- Loveless marriage/relationship
- Parenting discrepancies
- Sexual Intimacy Issues
- Trouble defining roles
If you are experiencing any of these issues, Couples Therapy San Diego can help. If you are looking for a Couples Therapist, contact me for a free consultation or to schedule an appointment.
Learn more about Couples Therapy by visiting What to Expect in Couples Therapy.